1. Mike Craft

My only comment is that you have a really cool blog, all kinds of good stuff!!! Nice work on the DIY!

1. Thanks, Mike. Only a few decades ago, even men who worked as professionals, and wore ties to work, knew how to fix their own car if it broke down on the way home from work, repair the furnace if it stopped working, build their own addition on to their house, handle a firearm, get philosophical, cook a steak on the BBQ, throw a punch, quote a Bible verse, hit a baseball, give fatherly advice, and score a bowling game. My dad was that type of guy, and there’s a real shortage of those types of guys these days. In a world of overspecialization, we’re losing the “well rounded guy.” So my blog purposely wanders around a variety of topics. Yes, I’m a professional geek, but first and foremost, I’m a guy. And guys should be into all sorts of awesome things! :)

1. Bennett

Hi Steve. Great post. So nice to see someone giving useful information, instead of all those pro sites that just say this is dangerous and you should call someone. I like to do all the work on my motorcycles, car, house, so that doesn’t fly with me.

Anyway, I moved into an apartment with no joy in the fireplace. Didn’t seem there was any gas coming, so called the gas company to check it and their guy said it probably needed either cleaning or thermocouple replaced. So I bought one and put it in, and now I get strong, nice blue flame from the pilot, and a reading of 500 mw as it heats up. But (and you knew there had to be a but) when I try to lay off the button and get it to ‘on’, it goes right out.

I feel like i’ve got a brake caliper in need of a rebuild; the thing hasn’t been used in so long those valves inside the box are maybe just stuck. Maybe it’s cheap enough to just buy one and put that in, or maybe i’ll have to try a teardown, but before I do that I thought I’d see if you had any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

1. Hey, Bennett. First, I’m totally with you on the “fix it yourself” kick. I work on my own cars, Sea Doos, house, etc. whenever possible. Although, the one difference is that if I do something wrong and my car breaks down, I coast to the side of the road. If I do something really stupid with a gas valve, things can get ugly QUICK. :)

That said, I’m not a fan of busting open those valves. I’ve never done it myself – maybe it’s easy, but the risk vs. cost vs. benefit comparison just never seemed to be worth it to me. Obviously the thermocouple replacement got you farther (congrats!) and your thermopile is putting out decent mwatts, so the valve is probably the only culprit left. However, I’ve noticed that it often takes me holding down the pilot for a good while before I can turn it to on. How long are you holding it down before attempting to turn it? I don’t know WHY waiting is necessary, I just know that it is.

1. Bennett

Thanks. I’ll probably look into a replacement (though I overcame that risk/reward calculus the first time I changed out the brakes on one of my bikes, and haven’t looked back). If the cost is too high I might rethink, but for now, replacement is probably the route i’ll go.

As for the waiting issue, I think I’ve figured that out, from having the meter on from first ignition. As heating the probe is what generates the juice that’s needed to keep the valves open, the hotter it gets, the stronger the output, till it gets high enough to trigger the valves. From there, waiting longer doesn’t make any difference (though as you discovered, to some degree more is better). Since the average user isn’t going to monitor the voltage output, and doesn’t really care why, they just say wait for a minute or so, which is plenty to get it where it needs to be.

2. Bennett

now i’m getting more confused/frustrated. I was starting to look for a replacement for the control, whatever it’s called, but now i’m seeing readings out of my pilot only 250 mw or so. sure, it didn’t work even when i was getting 500 mw, but now i figure even if i drop the $100 or so on a new control unit, i’m still not going to have it working. like i said, frustrating. i’ve been playing with adjusting the height of the thermopile, but not really getting any improvement in the output, and adjusting the pilot adjusting screw on the control unit that i have, but that’s not getting any stronger output either. i did notice insulation scraped off where the wire comes through the sheet metal and retyped, but nothing changes. still, i guess i need to buy both parts and try again. agree? alternative theories?

2. geneva

Steve I am so grateful that there are still men out there that doesn’t even blink at the notion to just do the guy stuff…..and thank you so much for the free info on repairing/caring for your fireplace. Going to start by ckeaning the thermopile first before repacing it. Was baffled that there was no thermocoupling present on my Superior gas fireplace…..that’s cuz this model didn’t come equipped with one. The thermopile serves both the pilot and burner to release the gas necessary to operate either one.Thanks again!

3. paul

Just wanted to thank you, worked like a dream.I am in chicago and we are experiencing a vicious cold snap, much appreciated

4. Peter Martens

Hi Steve, a big thank you, I just read the DIY for the gas fireplace resolve yesterday, as I had same symptoms in one of my rental units and I followed your steps to a T and voila, after a little elbow grease with a fine wool cloth to clean the thermopile all works as it should.
        The DIY was well put together and I appreciate your blog.

Thanks
        Peter

5. Enrique Vargas

Thanks for the DIY. Ran into your site by random search and I’m glad I did. I’ll bookmark you for future visits. Thanks again!!!!

1. Shalyn

Hey Steve!
          First and foremost, I really enjoy your site and found that all your DIY tips and information extremely helpful! So, sorry if this is a bit long but I want to make sure you get all the information in hopes you can help me out with my current ‘situation’ on our Odesa ventless gas fireplace. The fireplace has been working great these past couple years but here lately say in the past couple months, it would be on working fine for anywhere from 10min/1hr or 3+ hours, than all of a sudden the pilot light and flame would cut out. So today I wanted to try and surprise my boyfriend before he got home and possibly fix it

1. Shalyn

it looked apparent that it was just a matter of cleaning the thermocouple and thermopile, which I did. Well then I thought since I have the “logs” off I might as well clean those suckers too and make it look like brand new ( eager beaver over here)… Well low and behold, my dumbass didn’t realize the logs are not just for show as they are apparently “vent free gas logs” and before it even ‘dawned’ on me I had already ran them under water for a minute (I didn’t use any cleaners or soap, thinking I was being careful) and I think I did a huge no-no (so to speak). Now, my question is if their is any possible way I can dry them out somehow or am I SOL

2. Hi, Shalyn. I hope your BF appreciates the effort, even if the logs got soaked. :)

I’d try just letting the logs sit out in a warm dry location, and maybe put a fan on them to speed up the process. If they didn’t disintegrate after getting wet, then they should dry out fine and be usable. Let us know how it turns out!

3. Shalyn

Oh my goodness

4. Shalyn

Dang… I had a bunch more but not sure where it went… Anywho… It was…oh my goodness this has been the best news yet today Steve !! Haha… And no the logs are both in tact!… I did notice some yellowing on the towel they have been sitting on since it happened but I would assume that’s just residual from the grime, dirt, phosphate and soot build up as my bf has never done any maintenance since he bought this place 3 years ago. Ok we definitely have a fan I can put on them to help. But would it be ok to put a small mini floor heater towards that general direction to per say “speed up” the drying or would that not be a good to put heat on them until they air dry? … As us women, are always looking for ways or “proper” shortcuts to speed up the process with the same efficiency! Plus, I would love to have it all put back together before my bf gets home and live and learn from this ‘lovely’ (hint of sarcasm) mistake.

5. Shalyn

Sorry for the piece mail. It looks like my ‘fun faces’ we’re breaking up the messages. Oh, and so I take it, it is ok to go ahead and ignite the pilot and the light the flame now before I get the logs back in their proper install places. Correct? Also, how long can you typically having thr flame going without the logs?

6. Hi, Shalyn. I wouldn’t attempt to light the fireplace without the logs in place. They are necessary to spread the flames properly. Just wait until they’re dry. The mini-heater won’t do any damage to them (they’re designed to get hot), but make sure you don’t do it in a way that could damage anything else or start a fire with nearby paper for fabric. Maybe use a blow-dryer?

2. Tom

Thanks for the info. I could not find a thermopile at Lowes, so I just tried cleaning mine after I read your article and it worked like a charm. You save me $50! THANKS!!

1. Those are the success stories I love to hear. I don’t mind giving $50 to a hardware store, but ONLY when I HAVE to! :)

2. Great find for me. All the tips worked just as described. Fireplace is ready to go just in time for Christmas. No $150 repairman required. Impressed my wife too.

Thank you.

Rolf

1. Glad to hear it, Rolf! And isn’t impressing the wife with handyman skills really what it’s all about? Merry Christmas! :)

3. debbie

Hello! … of course just after Christmas and on one of the coldest days – our Regency fireplace insert just stopped throwing off heat. I have been desperately trying to fix this myself and it appears that we have the same issue as above with the pilot light on – but no heat is being thrown. I am about to attempt your cleaning of the thermopile but would like clarification of “closed the shutoff valve on the hose that fed gas to the unit (VERY important)” …. can you please go into detail about how to do this and where I may find this valve. Thank you. Debbie

1. Hi, Debbie. It’s the main valve (probably with a yellow or red handle) that’s connected to the silver-colored gas hose that comes out of the wall underneath the fireplace. Hope you get it working!

4. Thank you Steve, but I looked all under the unit and found the silver coloured gas line, but there is not anything attached to it or the bronze coloured one. I searched all throughout the underneath and did not find anything connected to any of the lines. I did find a device that resembles a light switch/dimmer. It is a round knob that is, I swear, identical to a wall light switch/dimmer. I tured that all the way counterclockwise until I heard a click. It is attached to wires however and is on the left side of the unit underneath with wires entering a black box on the sme side under the unit.

1. That sounds like the fan switch – it turns on a fan to blow warm air once the fireplace reaches a certain temperature, and you can turn it to adjust the fan speed.

Gas has to be coming into the unit somewhere. If you can’t find the main cutoff valve for the gas line coming in, it’s possible to do it safely if you KNOW that the switch that says PILOT, ON, OFF is switched OFF, and I mean you need to know it without a doubt, and verify that the pilot light goes out when you turn it to OFF. Then clean the thermocouple, re-ignite the pilot, and see if that fixes things.

5. Debbie

Our Fireplace is a Regency P36 direct vent if this helps. I am attempting to send you three photos from under the unit to see if you can decipher where his hidden valve shut off would be. The dimmer switch still has me very confused as well since we have never had a light in the fireplace.

1. It’s not a light – it’s almost certainly the rotary speed control for your fan. Have you gone to the Recency website and downloaded the manual? It’s the first hit on Google when you search for “Regency P36.” Page 34 shows the main S.I.T. valve (it’s possible you don’t have a shutoff valve “upstream” of this one), so just make sure that the Gas on/off knob (item 1 in the diagram on that page) is OFF and the pilot light is out. You should be good to go from there!

6. Debbie

Sorry Steve, I did not receive your last post before I posted my previous post to this one. The fan switch sounds about right for the dimmer … just looks very Mickey Mouse-ish…. I was talking to my brother who works at Napolean and we discovered that thte shut off valve is most likely in an area I cannot see or get to as ours fireplace is a corner unit and the gas line comes in to the house, then is covered by the fireplace unit. I am going to take the glass off now – so hopefully I will be okay and be able to to write back … if not – I am in heaven hoping no one else will buy a Regency Fireplace!

7. Debbie

YAY!!! …. I am still here! AND it worked!!! Thank you so much Steve!! I cleaned all the little posts with sandpaper and a damp paper towel.

8. Debbie

Steve, I am so sorry to write you again, but I am hoping you can help me further as I have run into another snag now. The wire (assuming it’s the power wire to the fan) somehow was catching in the fan when it attempted to come on. THe pilot light, fan and everything went off. Almost like a safety switch went off. Now I have cleared the wire from the fan and it is working now – but I cannot get the fireplace to light again. The pilot light comes on but is very very dim. Then after waiting over 5minutes, I slowly move the valve to the on position and the pilot light completely goes out. I turned off the pilot, the fan and the thermostat on the wall. I was going to try it again after leaving it for half an hour in the all off position – but am wondering if you have any other suggestions?

1. Well, first – glad the cleaning worked, and bummer about the wire! Without being there to tinker with it and see what goes where, I’m not able to give advice you should really depend on about where that wire goes – which is important with anything that burns gas. It’s possible that there is some sort of safety switch that got yanked, and you need to find out where it connects. Check through your manual to see if there’s any mention of that. It could also just be a dirty thermocouple… but the fact that you got it to work today leads me to believe it’s something else. I’d go through the manual or even call Regency. I bet they’ll walk you through it on the phone.

9. Debbie

Thanks again Steve. I tried Regency first thing this morning – as it stated in our manual that we had a limited lifetime warranty … but they were closed today and would not be back to work until wednesday. As well I called a Regency dealer who stated that we actually do not have a warranty … so I wrote Regnecy an email and have left it at that for now. It turns out that the wire that was intruding on the fan was the wire attached to the Tpth and TP. I am assuming what happened was it did have an emergency shut off and shut the whole fireplace down. I made sure the wire was fine without any damage to it and then unscrewed both wire attachments and took the wires off their places and then screwed them back on again. I also shut the whole fireplace off again including the fan switch and wall thermostat as well as the pilot. Then after ten minutes tried it all over again .. and Voila!!! Everything is working again!! With this as our main heat source and this being New Years Eve, I want to thank you so very much for sticking with me on this and replying to my questions. I can now unbundle from my massive layers of clothing and socks and take back the heaters my neighbours lent me. Take care and Happy New Year indeed!! – you not only gave me back heat – but also saved me a service call and tons of cash as well.

1. Sounds like the fan pulled the wire loose for the thermocouple connection. That’s what heats up to tell the gas to keep flowing and keep the pilot burning. Rechecking and reconnecting everything was the right thing to do. Glad you got it working – and Happy New Year! :)

10. grant

Awesome blog, soo many great tips, points, opinions, etc., however, now I have spent well over an hour and it is side tracking me!!
    Maybe you can assist, my pilot won’t light, just went out last year. When I push the button/igniter underneath the unit to light it, I can see a small spark, but that is it, very small. Do you recommend I clean the TH/TP. It is hard to tell if the pilot switch is off or on.
    Other details, there is no wall switch just a remote (Ireplaced the battery), and a gold key like knob outside the unit(assume gas valve). Is it safe to just take the glass off and start cleaning the TH/TP since there is no flame?
    I’m on a roll, this weekend I was able to fix our furnace the flame went out on it, so cut the power cleaned the flame sensor from all the carbon build-up and now it works better then it has in over 3 years, just in time for the deep freeze we are having!!

1. Yep – my guess is that it’s the thermocouple. It prevents the pilot light from staying lit. Give it a good clean (you won’t hurt anything if that’s not the problem) and see if that does the trick!

11. Doug Shild

Hi Steve, great article! I’m hoping you can help me… I have a wall furnace and the pilot light will stay lit, but the main gas will not flow. There is a high-low knob on the unit that has a wire going to a thermopile on the bottom of the furnace, in the room air. There’s another wire coming out of the thermopile going to the Honeywell valve. There’s usually a click noise and the main gas flows when I turn the knob, but not now… Any idea what I can do? I’m assuming the thermopile is bad, but I’m not sure how to replace it since most of the websites talk about TP and TH connections on the valve, but I only have the 1 wire going to it. Thanks again for the help! Great blog!
    Doug

1. Hmm… I’m not familiar with the Honeywell valve, and so I hesitate to advise you to fiddle around with it too much. If it’s one of the Honeywell 24V valves, there there’s no thermopile at all — the electricity to open the valve comes from an external source. The “click” noise you mention also supports that theory, since that’s usually the sound a solenoid makes when it opens. So unfortunately, the advise in this post won’t apply to your valve. My guess is that the electrical contacts to the valve that supply power to the solenoid (which can often oxidize and/or fall off) may be dirty or damaged. Remove all the wires (take note of where which ones go) and use some electrical contact cleaner. If that doesn’t do the trick, you’ll probably need a professional to swap out the valve.

12. Mike

Steve,

I have a Hampton H27 with the programmable thermostat. Pilot is ON. I can turn on the stove manually with the burner control but its not coming on via the thermostat. Likely the thermopile? thanks Mike

1. It depends on what “manually” means. Generally, the thermopile powers the valve, so if it can turn on (regardless of how), it’s probably OK. I’d check the connection from the thermostat to the valve to make sure it’s closing.

13. Awesome info! Helped me with some DIY troubleshooting. I have a question, when I check the voltage on my Thermopile, it’s fine at 570mv when fully heated by the pilot flame. But the voltage drops to only 180mv as soon as I switch on the “Main burner” switch. The main burner lights and so far is staying lit, but I wonder if there’s not a short somewhere causing the voltage to drop. My pilot has had a hard time staying lit (as well as the other burners) so I wonder if this is a hint as to why it has been shutting down. Thanks!

1. If the pilot light won’t stay lit, that’s more likely the thermocouple instead of the thermopile. As for why the voltage drops when the main burner fires, that’s strange… unless for some reason the increased heat is somehow overloading the thermopile.

14. Colette Vidal

hi Steve,
    l have an Empire wall furnace and it has been working fine for the five years or so since it was installed. This morning however, l woke up to a cool apartment and l quickly realized that it was off (as the pilot light was off ) and l got really worried because l thought about the gas leaking out since the supply was on. Couldn’t smell gas at all. So l shut off gas supply and then re-lit the furnace following the usual procedure. It went right back on no problem. But now l am worried about leaving the house in case it goes off again. l suppose there is a safety device that shuts off the supply since l couldn’t smell gas. Could you suggest what the problem may be. There weren’t drafts during the night as my windows are closed obviously (it’s -18 celsius outside. l live in eastern Canada. l would appreciate your opinion on this. lt has never happened before, Thank you,
    Colette

15. Rainey

Thank-you so much for your help!!! I cleaned the thermopile all by myself (following your careful instructions about turning the gas off) and got my fireplace going again – worked like a charm and saved me some cash! Lorraine.

16. Zafar M.

Hi Steve. I have an electronic ignition valve fireplace. The module can produce a spark at the Ignitor terminal, but there is NO spark at the pilot location. The wire to the pilot looks solid and the wiring harness looks fine. Could there be a buildup on the ignitor electrode that is causing the no spark issue? The gap between the eletrode and pilot shroud is 1/8″. Thanks.

1. Absolutely. Clean everything well (both sides of where the spark should arc), check connections, and give it a go!

17. Michael A. Hess

We had a Regency U39 Free Standing unit installed just a little over two months ago. Yesterday we realized it was cold and the pilot light was off. It would relight and the main flames would ignite but then it would go out shortly there after.

This morning I remove the three flame cap over the pilot light orifice. I cleaned it out, clean all around the orifice and cleaned off the thermocouple and thermopile. Reassembled everything. The pilot light would light. It would take between 1 and 2 minutes before the pilot would keep a sustained flame. Then I could turn on the main burner. It would fire up. It would work from 1 – 5 minutes and then there is a pop, the flames go womp and it shutsdown. I go through the same process again.

I did this several times over 2 hours. Then suddenly the burner stayed on. It went through cycles turning on and off with the blower and everything seemed fine. This continued for 6 – 7 hours. Then a night fall it start all over again. When it pops off the pilot appears to still be on it is just that everything shuts down.

My non-expert guess leads to several possible problems.

1. Bad Thermopile.

2. Weak gas pressure that doesn’t allow for a strong enough pilot flame. (I say this because some times when trying to ignite the pilot there doesn’t appear to be enough gas to light all three flame jets from the orifice.)

3. The S.I.T. valve is bad.

I had called the business that installed it but they stated they are busy and it might be a day until then can get to me. Do you have any suggestions of what I can easily test to help narrow down the problem for me or the service tech?

Thanks.

1. Hmm…. I’d say the weak gas pressure is the least likely, and the valve or thermopile being bad is the most likely. If there’s a pop or click before the main burner turns off, then that’s probably the sound of the main gas valve closing – so either the thermopile is telling it to shut off when it shouldn’t, or something else in the valve is closing it when you don’t want it to.

However, the fact that it shuts off after running for a while also tells me it’s possible that it’s temperature related. Perhaps your unit has some sort of thermal sensor that shuts off the gas if it gets too hot (which might be possible if it’s not vented properly). But the pop before the failure is what I’d try to figure out – that’s going to be the key to tracking down the culprit.

1. Michael A. Hess

I agree with the gas. I did the following test. I get the pilot light going, which as I mentioned takes like 2+ minutes before I can release the button so it is self sustaining. That seems too long to begin with. The next step would be to turn the valve to the ‘on’ position so that the main burner could fire up. Instead I just left it in that position used to start the pilot. In that position the pilot stays lit for 30+ minutes. That indicates to me that it isn’t the thermocouple.
        However even after that length of time with 15 seconds of turning it so the main burners would come on. They came on and then whoose it all shuts down again.

Then this odditiy. I have a main switch on the unit for the main burners. It can be set to On/Off/Thermostat. It doesn’t matter what position I have it at. Even if it is set for the main burners to be off the moment I turn the pilot knob from pilot to on with the pilot lit the main burners come on.

I’m really leaning toward the S.I.T. Valve being bad.

I think it is beyond me at this point. I need to call the repair rep to look at this.

1. Great job using logic in your troubleshooting — and also for knowing when to stop and say “time for a pro to check it out.” There’s always a point at which guessing isn’t worth the risk to blowing up your house. :)

2. Patrick

As l am having the same issues as yours, ( pilot on, then fireplace on with a beautiful blue/orange flame) and then after2-5 minutes the flame became weaker ( light blue) and the pilot is becoming very weak as well and then it shuts down with a very audible “CLICK”… So what was your outcome/diagnosis if you don’t mind to share?

Thanks

18. Sandra R

My gas valve, newly replaced, is leaking propane and I turned off the gas to the fireplace. Now the fireplace store and the propane company are playing the blame game on the reason. The store says the propane company blew out the valve by setting the pressure too high on the pressure regulator they replaced. The propane company says its a bad valve…any ideas??

1. Smart call turning off the propane feed. Don’t mess around with it. I’d pressure both companies to step up, and hopefully one will. :)

19. Tom Keegan

Hi Steve
    I have a gas fireplace that is about 40 yrs. old. When we moved in 2 yrs ago ,we had a pro come here to check it out. He diagnosed a bad thermo couple. I recently was looking for a brand name on the fireplace (could not find one) when I smelled gas. The gas detector also found gas. Pilot light is not working so gas valve should not be allowing gas to enter. Isolated gas line with a shut-off since there was not one even at the appliance and turned off supply. I will try what I have read on your site about how to clean and test current but not sure if valve is the problem with smell. Unit is 36″ with a fan on each side to draw air in from room and then vent back into room from top at center.Fans are turned on by wall switch which is suppose to start the process of heating up. Single wall flu pipe runs to roof. Is it possible there was debri in the line causing vale to be partially open when it should be closed. Can it be cleaned or new valve. I am very handy. In the process of remodeling 2nd house but do not have much knowledge of fireplaces. THANK YOU very much for any info.
    Tom

20. Amanda Morris

Hello, I am pretty sure that I need to clean my Heatilator’s TP, but I can’t get my glass off ha ha.but that is not my main question (Ill have to work on that). There is a wall plug (socket) in the unit with 2 plug-in spots and a 3 pronged plug. I have had this unit off with the pilot light off and gas off for a couple of years. Main heat is broken so tried to re-light. Pilot light on like a charm, wall switch on, won’t light. Wall switch for blower fan on blower does come on. I remember a few years ago that it would not light and my Dad (Engineer ha ha) switched the spots the plug was in and it started working. So I switched the spots and the fan starts blowing automatically. I plugged a light into that spot and the light came on automatically, but when I plug the light into the other spot the light does not come on and does not come on with the wall switch. Could the socket be the problem? I could swear that initially the fan came on when I flipped the wall switch when the pilot light was on, but now it won’t come on when plugged into the original spot(before I moved it today) when the wall switch is flipped. It seems like this is wrong somehow. I have it all unplugged now with the gas off. Thanks for being so nice and answering people’s questions!

21. Graham Evans

Hello Steve
    I have Valor Inset Gas fire with the rear Fan Flue.
    I replaced the Thermocouple last year (the fire is 10 years old now) after it kept cutting out.
    This cured the problem.
    Now 12 months on the fire has suddenly cut out and won’t start again.
    Thing I have noticed is the audiable ‘click’ you normally get when pressing the ‘on’ button for the fan is almost non existent now…..and sometimes the fan will not operate.
    Presuming the thermocouple has not failed again, would it be likely that the solenoid valve is the culprit ?
    I can only think of that or the air pressure switch which sits in the rear of the flue housing.
    I am an engineer by trade and have had the fire apart a few times….just wondering If its worth trying to remove the solenoid and open it up to see if its repairable as they are not cheap to replace ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards G E

22. John Sylvester

Hi Steve,
    I have a Majestic gas fireplace, with direct rear venting, that came with a new house 8 years ago. There is no fan or thermostat, but there is a wall switch. The pilot stays lit but the burner goes out after 5-8 minutes. After reading your newsy blog, I suspect the thermopile. I plan on cleaning both thermopile and thermocouple and trying again. If problem still exists I’ll check them both and perhaps replace one or both. Am I on the right track? Please give me your thoughts.

1. Hey, John. Yep – I think you are on the right track. Come back and tell us if this fixes it (and I really think it will). I think your thermopile simply isn’t generating enough electricity to keep your valve open.

23. John Sylvester

Hi again Steve,
    I’m getting back at ya after cleaning the TP and TH as you suggested in your very informative blog, and your concurrence on focusing on the TP. Before using my multimeter, the problem was solved and the burner stayed on during my one hr test. Thanks much for your help. BTW, what’s a S.I.T. valve?
    Thanks again, John

1. I believe “SIT Controls” is a popular manufacturer of gas valves, and that’s where the name comes from. But if anyone else reading this has a better answer, please post it! :)

24. herb

Hey, thanks for the post. I’ve replaced my thermocouple in the gas fireplace (not too hard) but the pilot light still will not light at all.

Assuming all gas connections are open and working, igniter works (looks to be sparking ok) and thermocouple is installed correctly, would a bad thermopile keep the pilot light from lighting? It just will not light, never mind stay lit. The thermopile is a bit dirty so I will attempt a cleaning first. Thanks!

1. Hi, Herb. No, a bad thermopile shouldn’t prevent the pilot from lighting. All it does is power the valve. If the valve is set to the pilot position, then it should allow a small amount of gas through fuel the pilot light… but only if the thermocouple senses the pilot is lit. Have you verified that you’re following the proper lighting procedure for your unit? Sometimes you have to hold stuff in, or at the proper position, etc. It can get like the Hokey Pokey. :)

1. herb

Thanks. While I was cleaning the thermopile I also tried to clean up the pilot light area a bit too, but I still don’t think that’s the problem. I smell gas when I press the pilot light for 30 seconds as the manufacturer instructs, but when I hit the igniter repeatedly the spark will not light the gas.

I got frustrated and did something really crazy and, with the pilot valve depressed, held a butane lighter to the pilot light area (instead of using the igniter). Propane gas coming out of the pilot light opening would light with the lighter in place,
        but when I pulled the lighter away it would not stay lit. it was as if there was not enough gas coming out of the pilot light opening to stay lit. Could this be a bad SIT valve? Just curious – I’ll probably call a pro for whatever comes next as it looks like the simple problems have been ruled out.

1. Hey, Herb. Yeah… sounds like it’s time to call in a pro. Bummer. But better safe than sorry once you’ve eliminated the easy stuff. :) Let us know what it turned out to be!

25. James Wade

Thank you so much , if I had found your article before now it would have saved me a lot of time reading other articles , the internet is a fantastic place to find information but you have to enter the correct wording . Your article could not have explained thing any better , it was clear , easily understood , and without all the BS that other people put in . I am on my way to my daughters home to check her propane fireplace , I believe there is a thermopile problem , and some blockage in the pilot line, I can’t thank you enough for your great post ,Jim Wade.

1. James Wade

Thanks again , I could have not done it without your post , checked and cleaned thermopile and thermocouple , cleaned out the pilot burner , the gas was not reaching the igniter , all is well .

26. I left my pilot on this whole year rather than turn it off during the summer to test if I’d have better luck getting the fireplace to light and it seems to have definitely helped.

However, I’m experiencing this season that the pilot will stay lit, but the main burner will often go out while the fireplace is on. If I tap on the fireplace, the burner will re-light. Ever heard of this? Is this indicative of a faulty valve?

1. Hey, Axlejc. My money would will be on a dirty (or faulty) thermopile. Sounds like your thermocouple is fine, in that it allows your pilot to stay lit. I’d clean the thermopile first and see if that helps the main burner issue.

1. Jason

Wanted to leave a follow-up. I had wondered why tapping the stove would cause it to re-light. After being annoyed that it would turn off seemingly at random, I wondered if the problem was mechanical — perhaps the rocker switch to turn the burner off could be defective and therefore not contacting (but the vibrations could jar it into contact temporarily). I started by checking the wire connections on the back of the switch and found them to both be loose. After pushing them on tighter, the stove stays on all the time now as it should.

27. Ed

Having a bit of a problem .. Was getting a real low reading on my Thermopile….89 -100, and slightly lower ..slightly when the thermostat was off. Just replaced the Thermopile and getting the same low readings. Could I have gotten a bum new Thermopile? Or what else is causing this? Could the Pilot Light be too strong on the Thermopile? Would adjusting that solve the problem or do I just have a bad valve.
    Thanks.
    Ed

28. Juan

Hi Steve, had a chance to read your useful information and kind replies to us fireplace sufferers :).
    I hope you can help my case: I’m trying to start my fireplace and get ready for our brutal Minnesota winters and I just can’t get the pilot to light. I have done this many times in the past so I know the process but this time something is just not right. I rotate the gas valve , I turn on the electric switch from the wall, I push down the pilot knob for a long time and strike the ignitor repeatedly. I can see nice and long sparks but the pilot light just doesn’t ignite. I don’t want to mess with the thermocouple or thermopile as they should not affect the process I’m trying to start (just get the pilot to light). I can’t hear any gas and I have waited long enough for the line to bleed and the gas to start flowing…is there any way to check that the gas valve is working? Any way to ensure that when depressing the pilot knob gas actually flows? Do gas valves ever get “stuck” preventing flow? Also, I see there is some interesting wires going from the main gas valve assembly to some sort of a safety or on/off limit switch located by removable vent panel…do fireplaces have some kind of system to allow them to run only with the lower panel in the upright position?
    Your input and feedback is greatly appreciated.

29. Pat wells

Your directions were right on. Thanks for saving me some cash.

30. david

Steve,

excellent work on this thread.
    finally got rid of the ” whoosh ” because i now understand the way the entire gas fireplace assy. functions.

saved a ton of $ by not having to call in a tech and replace the entire part for $100.00

kudos.

d

31. Stephen Grant

Good explanation and clear instructions. Same general symptoms (been getting progressively worse over the last year or two and now not coming on at all) so I followed the steps closely, measuring just slightly under 400mA. But after I cleaned the thermopile with fine sandpaper and re-lit, now I’m reading only about 200mA. Ever seen that before? I’m apparently not a very good thermopile cleaner.
    If I have to replace the thermopile, is it a lot more work i.e. do I have to remove all the logs and other bits to disconnect it? can I replace the thermopile or the TP/pilot nozzle assembly?

1. Stephen Grant

Actually, no need for a reply. It just needed a bit of time. I left it stand for 20 minutes with the pilot light burning. Came back and flipped the switch and presto the fireplace came on. Continues to work great this morning. I measured the TP and it’s generating 800mA, so I expect to have dependable service this winter. Thanks again for your post.

32. Thanks Steve – I just Googled “thermopile clean or replace” and got this perfect info!

I have been having the exact same problems with my Vermont Castings Jefferson NG stove since last year, including sporadicunreliable lighting of the main flame, the whooompf when it did start, and the 350mv reading, which really worried me that the valve being stuck was the issue and not the thermopile. After cleaning the thermopile thoroughly, which took a couple rounds, it seems to be working fine now. So you seem to have confirmed what I did was correct.

Also, I read that thermopiles only last a couple years on average – I wonder if this is just because they are dirty and they get replaced instead of cleaned? Why do they wear out? Any thoughts?

Are you going to post more details on the thermopile/thermocouple changeout? – looks pretty straight-forward, but I wonder about the gaskets (are they included – if not what should I get and are they difficult to fit?). It would be great to know how to do this since it can take a while for a repairman to come out and it is expensive even though not too difficult if you understand the stove/fireplace.

Thanks again.

Craig

33. David Day

Thanks for the info, my fireplace is working like a charm now. I cleaned the Thermopile and thermocoupler with a fingernail file and all is good. The thermopile voltage stayed the same before and after the cleaning, .520 but now it works. Thanks.

34. Dave

Had symptoms like others with fireplace probs. Pilot would light but not main flame then pilot would not stay lit. Cleaned both thermopile & thermocoupler. Viola. Worked like a champ for hrs. Went to shutoff with the wall switch and nothing. Main flame and pilot still lit, Had to manually shut off pilot light to stop the fire. Now when pilot light switch rorated to PilOT position(normally push-in and hold to light then rotate to on) pilot stays lit even when released and at ON position main burner lights regardless of wall switch. I think I may have gotten the TP and/or TC out of alignment with pilot light?? THX in advance

1. dave

Disregard. Had remote switch to ON. (DUH)! Wall switch now controls fire as designed. Happy Wife equals happy everybody. Thanks again for saving so many of us $$$$.

Dave

35. Ihab

Excellent article. I just wanted to use a millivolt honeywell thermostat to control my fireplace. i see the switch to turn it off and on is connected to the tp/th and th screws on the fireplace. can i just get low voltage wiring and connect them to the screws, then connect to the thermostat? or does it need to be connected to a on/off switch. Next challenge is to see what slots they connect to on the thermostat…R, G, b…is it a crapshoot or is there some way to figure it out.
    Thanks in advance

Ihab

1. Hi, Ihab. You’re right – that switch does nothing but touch the tp/th and the th screw together, meaning you can use any sort of low voltage relay or dry contact closure control to close that circuit. A millivolt Honeywell should work fine, as long as (like you said) you can figure out which wires fire when it calls for heat. If it’s a heat only thermostat, you’ll likely use the R and the COM wires. You can also check out my Skytech review if you wanna try something fancy. :)

36. Keith

Hi Steve – I have a weird problem. The main burner on my fireplace will not light when it is near or below freezing. It will though when it gets warmer. In either case, the pilot light will light when I turn on the wall switch. It’s in the 50’s today so I when I go home, it will probably light. What do you think it can be? Thks, Keith

1. I’m still gonna guess the thermopile, and that maybe the cold is somehow making it less conductive. Have you tried cleaning or replacing it?

1. Keith

Hi Steve – I haven’t replaced or cleaned the thermopile yet. Now I’m wondering if water is getting in there somehow and freezing. Can that happen? When I had the problem last week, it rained the day before then went below freezing that night. It wouldn’t light the next day. Yesterday, I ran it when I got home from work becasue it rained for 3 days straight and it got into the 20’s overnight. It lit this AM when I tried it. My thinking is that by running it, maybe I got rid of the water that got in there. What do you think?

1. It shouldn’t, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t. Your chimney cap should be stopping water from entering, and water getting in is a rare occurrence. Rule it out if you can, but my guess is it’s probably something else.

37. John Tarves

Didn’t notice this mentioned in your discussion; At the Furnace Supply I was told its important to clean all the wire contacs because of the tiny voltage involved, its easy to foil its passage.

38. Eric N

Steve, after looking at numerous sites for nearly an hour, including wading through all of the “call a professional” posts, I finally found your post. I have been trying to troubleshoot if it was the thermopile or thermocouple on my gas fireplace and your information saved the day.

39. Mick

If the pilot flame is not adjusted high enough or thermopile is not located properly, the thermpile may not generate the proper voltage, so one should check that the thermopile is well engulfed in the pilot flame.

40. Munir

Hi Steve,
    Great website. Went from being clueless to well informed in a very short time.hope you can help with this one. last night I turned on the basement fireplace for the first time this winter and it smelled pretty weird for a while and then it shut off on its own. Never smelled like that before. now I can’t get it to start again. the pilot light is on and the thermal pile millivolt voltage is about 600 mV. voltage does not change when I flip on the switch. Is it safe to take a Bent paper clip and short the TH THTP points to see if the switch is bad? also the knob used to adjust the flame never quite made any difference. Bad valve? We have an old HeatNGlo supreme XT. Thanks!

1. Hey, Minur. Yep – jumping those connections is fine for testing. It’s a low voltage connection, so it won’t “bite” you. And if the knob doesn’t make any difference, then yes – it’s possible you’ve got a bad valve.

41. Carmella

Hello– quick question– after testing we ended up having to replace the thermopile. That was a pain cause it was calked in. Anyway, now it works but the gas is causing the flames to come out more near the front. It’s like the gas line is out of alignment and were not sure how to get it back in allignment. Any suggestions?

1. Hi, Carmella. Usually, flame location is dependent upon how you arrange the logs. I’m assuming you had to take them out when you replaced the thermopile, so I’d move them around a bit to see if you can get the flames where you want them.

42. david

mike,

pilot lites and stays on no problem.

thermopile putting out 480 mv with pilot lit

the on switch has continuity thru it

burner lites but slow and gas level is low so flames are very small and weak.

any advice……….?

thx

d

43. Duane

Hi Steve,
    My son recently bought a townhome that is about 10 years old and has a Superior gas fireplace. First thing I have noticed since cold what has come is there is a good breeze underneath the fireplace by the gas controls. How would this air be coming in? Also pilot light stays lite but when hitting the wall switch it seems like very little gas in coming and just get a very weak flame from burner. Appreciate any help you can give me on this. Thanks

44. Matthewk

To the person who had the stuck gas valve where the pilot would only stay lit for as long as you held the button in, and you were getting > 300MV out of the thermopile..

Please note, I have not tried this. This is totally at your own peril, though I would try this if I were in your shoes…

If you are going on the assumption that the gas valve has sat for a long time and the electromagnet that the thermopile energizes is stuck and will not engage. I would be tempted to try disconnecting the thermopile, than taping some long lead wires onto the terminals of a regular 1.5V (1500mv) battery, like an AA or a D cell, and connect that to the thermopile terminal on the gas valve a few times rapidly. Tickle it on a bunch of times and than with it in place, see if the pilot will hold if you pres the button and light it. I doubt the 1.5V will hurt the coil in the electromagnet but it may be enough to break it free if it is stuck. If the pilot holds without the button pushed with the battery connected, turn it all off, re-connect the thermopile and see if the thermopile will work it now that it is freed up.

Good luck!

1. Bennett

Thanks for the idea. First without the pilot lit I just wired in a 1.5v battery and heard an audible click whenever current was flowing. Sounds like something happening, which would be a good sign the valve is functioning, perhaps? Next, light the pilot and see if it would stay lit with the button released (did something unstick, now it’ll be ok?). No joy. It still went out. Next, light the pilot, apply the battery (testing was the thermopile putting out too little voltage, that extra boost may be needed to open the gate?) but the pilot went out when i released the button anyway.

so, hypothesis, the click i was hearing wasn’t the gate opening to let gas flow. why else would the pilot go out? Solution? i might be inclined to still think i need to replace the valve assembly, unless someone has a better idea?

thanks in advance. it’s brushing the 80’s here in LA this week so not really urgent, but while i have time off i’d love to get this fixed finally…….

2. Bennett

Well, sometimes a good cleaning is, unfortunately, not the answer. Bit the bullet today and bought a replacement for my control and a new pilot assembly while i was at it. after the testing earlier it was pretty clear that the issue was with the valve, but I thought in for a penny might as well go for it all and did both at the same time. And so here we are enjoying a lovely fire.

by the way, once i had the new control i cracked open the old one, and found a wire (from what i assume was the electromagnet) disconnected inside. i’m just tossing the whole thing, so i’ll never know if that was really the issue, interesting that this might have happened. as it is, total cost was just $150 which still isn’t bad, and should last a few more decades, i’m guessing.

now, anyone have tips on adding a blower unit to a gas fireplace that didn’t have one originally?

1. Bummer that the cleaning alone didn’t solve it, but congrats on a successful DIY win. That’s still a lot cheaper than hiring someone to swap those bits out. Enjoy that fire — you earned it! :)

45. Dave

Steve, thank-you! I don’t have my voltage tester here so I thought I’d just try and take everything apart and clean the TP and TC just to see… bingo! Works like a charm for the first time in a couple years. I probably created this problem myself over the years leaving the pilot lit during the summer, basically never turn it off. I hope this will now work for a few years to come but if it doesn’t at least I now know what to do. Thanks again Steve, you rock!

46. Kenny Mayberry

I have a Heatn glow it’s about 11 years old the pilot light will stay lit however when I turn the unit on it will only run for a bout 10 minutes and then shuts off the burner and the pilot light I’ve tried it on the high flame and the low flame it still would only run about 10 minutes and then shuts off everything what do you recommend

1. Sounds like a dirty or defective thermocouple. If cleaning it doesn’t work, it probably needs to be replaced!

47. Roy

Steve thanks for the details and giving me the motivation to continue with working on my gas fireplace. I had given up a couple of times and was frustrated with the repair guys that show up. Here is my saga.

The fireplace is 14 years old now and the last 2 years it has been more difficult to get working. I am unfortunately ;) not afraid to try almost any repair but had stayed away from the fireplace since it was such a cramped work space.

I called a local repair guy when I could not get it going this year and after 2 hours and $85 he told me to order a new remote control. Seemed reasonable at the time since the pilot was on but really hard to get lit. Another $70 and the new remote seemed to fix the issue but after each time we used the fireplace, the pilot would go out. After reading here I figured it was the thermocouple and found one at the local store. Took a while to install but after installing and cleaning everything the pilot lit right away and kept burning strong for 30 days.

It just got cold again and I went to turn on the fireplace and it would not turn on. Same exact symptom I began with a month ago. Wiggled some wires and it kicked on so I re-wired everything since it looked pretty sad. No joy but looked better and I removed some unnecessary wiring that had been put in.

Return to reading here and checked the thermopile and it was reading 220 mV. Cleaned it up and got it up to 275mv but it still would not turn on all the time. I got out the grill lighter and heated the thermopile some more all around and I got it up to 400 mV and the fireplace started immediately. I adjusted the pilot as much as I can but cannot get the voltage high enough so I ordered a new thermopile online since I could not find one locally.

BTW I reinstalled my old remote and it works fine. I had been misled by the repair guy because he said it was bad and not putting out the right voltage but turns out it is just a dry contact device.

I feel pretty confident about the thermopile and it should be here next week. Thanks again for the little extra push I needed to tear into it again.

1. Hey, Roy. You’re right — fireplace remotes are simply “on/off.” All the voltage is from the thermopile. Please report back when you get your new one installed. I’m betting it will work great! :)

1. Roy

Hi Steve,
        I thought I would give you the final update. The thermopile arrived last week and I got installed right away was able to get the voltage up to about 350mV which was enough to get the valve to open so that definitely helped but I was expecting a little higher but thought I was good to go. Next day the pilot light was out again and although it lit no problem I could never get it very high or increased voltage.

About to give up again and I decide to try a clean the pilot orifice. The repair guys said he did it but no matter how much I turn the screw it would not change. So as I was cleaning it and unscrewing, it fell apart in my hands. It was pretty badly mangled so I am sure the repair guy fouled it up then I finished it off. It was hard to figure out which one I needed since the model number did not turn up much but figured it was a SIT model from a Lennox rebrand. The picture I ordered looked a little different but it was only $13 so I figured I cam this far.

The pilot tube arrive last night and the little orifice cap fit perfectly so on the right track. Went to install and there is not a hole in the sheet metal big enough to get the nut through. When I get to this point in projects I keep going until I fix what I am working on or destroy it beyond all recognition so I grabbed the drill and got after it. Finally made a hole big enough to feed the tube through and everything seem to fit correct. The wife had 911 punched into the phone ready to hit send while I lit the pilot and flame on!!

The pilot light came on like I have never seen it. The thermocouple was glowing red and I was up to 650mV! I backed off the screw which had been open really far for the old tube and let the pilot settle to about 450mV for now.

Am I done? Only time will tell. Looking back now the thermocouple and thermopile were probably OK although 14 years old and cheap enough. Unfortunately it has warmed up to 70F outside now so may not be able to use it this year unless we have another cold snap :(

Thanks again.
        Roy

48. Artis

Hi Steve, I just found your post and it is Great! My dad was always a great do-iy-yourselfer and taught me the same. I ran into a snag with my LP fireplace and found your site. I cleaned the thermopile/thermocouple (which seems to be one and the same). It seems to be working good! I had lit my fireplace and after about a half an hour it went off (I heard a click in the valve) and I could not get the pilot to stay on when released.
    I cleaned it and it is working well!
    Thanks, Artis

1. Awesome. I love hearing these types of DIY success stories, Artis. Every dollar you don’t pay to a repair dude is a dollar you can save, or spend on something more important. Great job.

49. Brad

Steve,
    My pilot light is staying lit, but the burner will not light on my Superior direct vent fireplace. I cleaned the thermo pile and it is reading 470-480 mv. I have a wall switch and connected the wires directly and it still won’t work. Any other ideas on what it could be?

Brad

1. Hi, Brad. That could possibly mean that 480mv still might not be enough for your valve, or maybe it is but the valve is stuck closed. How long did you let the pilot run before hitting the switch? Sometimes, the thermopile takes a while to build up voltage. If waiting a bit longer still doesn’t work, try to see if you can get the valve assembly out (shut off the gas first) and take it to a local fireplace shop and having them inspect it. That’s still cheaper than getting a repair guy to your house. If they verify that it’s bad and can’t be fixed, you should be able to replace it yourself (you can buy the valve from the shop, but price compare online first so you’ll know if they’re giving you a fair price). Take pics before disassembly, hook everything up slowly, and use a soapy liquid to check for any leaks.

1. As an FYI for anyone else reading Brad’s comments, I just received an email from him saying “Ended up replacing the thermopile and got close to 700 mv out of the new part and the fireplace is working. Thanks for the help.” That’s great news, Brad! Congrats on the DIY fix! :)

50. David

Hey Steve, just wanted to say thanks for posting all this great information. I was having the exact same problem…the fireplace would turn on intermittently and sometimes make that “whoomph” sound when it did light. I replaced the thermopile and the fireplace is back in action! You probably saved me a couple hundred bucks in service fees to have to have a guy to come in and figure out the problem and fix it. Glad you posted the info so I could do it myself. Cheers!
    David

51. Gary Goldberg

Thanks! Just reading this saved me some money and, more importantly, saved me time, Both my gas log fireplaces failed to light up this winter. After finally getting the one thermal pile off, I thought I’d read up on other solutions. Since neither pilot light would light, I had some Emory cloth and just cleaned up the bedroom fireplace log thermal couple and pile! It works like new! Simple. Now to get the other fireplace log put back together and CLEANED, I’m confident it’ll work also. Thank you!

52. Rherst

Steve – thanks so much for the detailed instructions. I followed each step, including buying a voltmeter, so I could be sure of what I was doing. After cleaning the thermopile, just as you described, the fireplace works perfectly again.

Thanks much

53. Eric

Steve,
    Thanks for your super useful fireplace DIY blog. Learned enough from you to solve my problem and now have a smooth running fireplace. You provide a great resource!
    Eric

54. cheryl

we have a older appalachian un-vented propane fireplace heaters model UV-36 we replaced our wall mount thermostat and it turns on but does not cycle you have to manually turn it down to kick off (was set at 72 and was up to 78 )and maually turn it back on(set to come on at 72 was down to 69) any ideas?

1. Hmm… that sounds like an issue with the thermostat. Is the thermostat making a “click” when it reaches the appropriate set point? I’d use a multi-meter to test for continuity to make sure the thermostat is “opening” and “closing” the appropriate connections on your valve when it should.

55. K Warner

Awesome article! Spent all night messing with my logs and this was the most comprehensive article I found. Even down to what TH on the terminals meant. In my case it turned out the valve was simply stuck as I haven’t used the fireplace in two years. I read on another page the thermopile can be diagnosed by connecting a AAA battery to the TH and TP terminals. Me trying to hold the wires actually tripped the valve several times and it came on. Turned out when I hooked the thermocouple wires back it worked fine. So this may be a good trick to free up a stuck valve. It worked for me as I had cleaned everything and that didn’t work but that 1.5 V freed it all up. Thoughts?

1. That’s great! I’ll add the AAA trick to the article, since that’s a great way to quicky “bypass” the thermopile and make sure that’s the real problem. Congrats on your DIY fireplace fix!

56. Chris

Hi Steve,
    You just saved me a bunch of money! Thanks. My sweet little propane heater was gradually getting harder to ignite the burner…3,4,5, seconds and whoosh! Then it wouldn’t light. Called the shops and they were a little ‘vague’ but would have the service guy call for a chat and, most likely, a $137 service call (parts extra). I thought it was a simple circuit and couldn’t be rocket science so I found your page. You instructions and cautions were spot on. Ten minutes and a vacuuming later, the voltage on the TP circuit went from 117mV to 175. Lights immediately every time. Thanks again.
    Chris

57. Jack McK

Steve,
    My pilot worked, but the full flame would not turn on. I cleaned the thermocouple and replaced the on/off switch. It works fantastic now! I have about $3 and one hour invested. It saved me at least $135, which is what the fireplace repair shop wanted as a minimum charge. I can’t thank you enough.

58. Greg

Came home one night and my gas fireplace would not come on. After tinkering for a bit, I could get my fireplace pilot to stay lit, but when I turn the nob to “on,” the pilot would go out. I cleaned the thermalpile with a wire brush and plumbers sandpaper cloth and was getting good readings on my volt meter, like above, but still, when I turn the gas valve nob from “pilot” to “on,” the pilot would go out. Thinking about the first rule of troubleshooting (“is it plugged in”), I decided to change the batteries in the fireplace remote receiver which is connected to the gas valve. Viola, when I turn the knob to “on”, everything works again. I decided to change the batteries in the actual remote too as that has given me problems in the past as well.

59. brian

thanks for the advice! I have add-on gas logs with no electronic controls at all, and was getting a pilot but no ignition. I tried your trick of cleaning the thermocouple and it worked like a boss.

60. Mat

Steve, great blog. The article on the fireplace TP and TC was excellent.

61. Lisa

This worked for us too!! Thank you!! Dealer was going to charge me $230 just to make a service call.

62. John

Heatilator GDST36 Gas fireplace won’t light up pilot light is on. When I turn the wall switch on the burner does not light. Thermocouple has been replaced. If I hit the gas valve with a wrench the burner lights. I am thinking it is the valve that needs to be replaced. I also read that any dust buildup in and around the controls could affect the current necessary to start the burner. Any thoughts? Than you

63. Harold

I followed your instructions and cleaned the carbon off my thermopile, cleaned up the glass doors, sealed everything back up, turned up the thermostat and I heard the familiar sound of the gas logs lighting up. the whole process took me 15 minutes. I used a wire brush and some fine cloth sand paper. I probably saved $150 bucks for 15 minutes of work. Thanks Steve!

64. Dan N.

Very useful write-up. My thermopile was easier to access than the example. When I saw white crusties similar to the picture I cleaned it up without bothering to break out the multimeter. Viola! Gas valve worked again.

I would like to add that my fake logs may have shifted a little and the pilot light is configured so that they may have to be correct for a nice even heating of the thermopile. I put the logs back carefully paying attention to the index pins and soot and wear patterns.

It’s so nice to remember that there are other uses for the interwebs beyond baby animal pictures!

65. cy

Thankyou so much. It’s my first time to work on fireplace. It’s wonderful. I first cleaned the thermopile with an old toothbrush. The fireplace came back to work. I shut it down again and cleaned it with sandpaper finally in order to for it to work longer. Now, trying several times, it definitely works. Thankyou.

66. yvonne

Nobody unless they are Gas Safe should have a go at any form of repair on their gas appliances, do all these DIY people know about the importance of gas pressures and soundness testing etc, my advice to any DIY person reading this article, leave ot to the experts!!!!!!!!

1. Yvonne: Some things I do indeed leave to the experts… but some things (like simply scrubbing a thermopile and thermocouple) are well within the capabilities of a careful DIY enthusiast. :)

67. al

can you replace a thermopile with a thermocouple?

1. Good question – the answer is “no.” A thermopile is much thicker, as it needs a much larger surface area in order to absorb enough heat to convert to electricity. A thermocouple is skinny, as it only needs to be warm enough to report “yes – I’m warm!” :)

68. Terry

Good Morning.
    I have replaced the thermocouple and cleaned the thermopile following your directions. But the stove still will not light. I have a nice blue pilot and I have vacumed out the stove. I’m at a loss as to why it won’t light. Please advise.

69. Terry

I forgot to add my stove is a envirogas28 it is about 14years old.

1. Alex

The same thing is happening to me, any luck on your end?

70. Allan Reini

Wasn’t lighting. Read your article. Is lighting. ‘Nuff said. THANKS!!!!!!!!!

71. Rick

Steve, thanks for the clear explanation. The thermopile is generating 224mv enough to allow the switch underneath the fireplace to work, but NOT the wall switch. Rating states 350mv to 500mv is required. However, I can only find thermopiles online at 250mv to 750mv. Will this higher rating work as a replacement? Thanks.

1. Rick

Steve, just to close off the thread. Just installed a 750mv thermopile and it works just fine, as you stated. it generates 586mv which meets the minimum rating as stated in my previous post. Thanks again for your help and this blog.

72. Mark

When I turn on the fire place with the wall switch at the start of the season, there is about a 10 minute delay, before I hear the gas, and then the fire ignites. Every now and then, but not often the same thing happens, however most times after the first time it has been burned in several months there is no delay. Any idea what may be going on?

1. Hi, Mark. I’ve experienced the same thing. My guess is that it’s related to the thermopile, because whenever I clean mine it seems to help with this delay before the “whoomph!” Eventually, every thermopile needs to be replaced. If the delay gets too big, I bet swapping out your thermopile for a new one will fix it.

73. Jeff

Your blog was fantastic! Thank you! You made it very easy to understand and diagnose. We took off the front of the fireplace, removed the logs to expose the thermopile/pilot/thermocoupler assembly and, sure enough, after a quick five minute cleaning with a brillo pad it fired right up! Again, from two very amateur DIYers we really appreciate your help.

Jeff & Robyn

1. Man, I LOVE hearing that, Jeff! Here’s hoping that this is just the first of many DIY projects for you. With blogs, YouTube, and forums — it’s easier than ever to get the info (and confidence) you need to tackle lots of projects yourself. Great job in a successful fix! :)

74. Derek

Thank you…cleaning the thermopile and the thermocouple worked like a charm.

75. Ed

Really wanted to thank you for this post -helped me get my wall furnace started and taught me so much about how it works – sandpapered some rust off of thermopile and got it started after multimetering- saved me some $$ thanks!

76. Krista

Thank you!! This website I’m sure saved me over 100$ – so clear and easy to understand – awesome!

77. steve

I am now enjoying my gas fireplace, thanks for your cure. It worked like a charm. Your instructions were easy to follow. I owe you a “cold one”. Steve

78. Alex

Hello.
    I have just replaced my thermo couple, my pilot will not stay on, I hit the button for more than five minutes and nothing happened. Pilot flame looks strong and blue, my insert is a Travis Industries FPX 34 DVL.
    I understand that the thermopile is responsible for turning the flames on correct? Not the Pilot? or the thermopile is also responsible to keep pilot on as well.
    Any help is appreciated.

1. Hi, Alex. Check the section of the article that starts “If your pilot light ignites but won’t stay lit…” As explained there, the problem is most likely your thermocouple. If cleaning it doesn’t solve the problem, you should replace it. It’s a very easy job, and your local hardware store will have a generic replacement thermocouple for about $10.

79. ALEX

Hello, thank you for you response. As I mentioned, I did replace the thermocouple, however it’s not staying lit. What else can it be?

1. Ah – I must have missed that.

You usually have to hold the PILOT button down on the valve for AT LEAST 30 seconds while lighting the pilot, before letting it go. This allows the thermopile to warm up enough to “know” that the pilot is lit again.

How long are you holding it down?

1. Alex

Steve, Again, I did mention that I replaced the thermo couple and held downforce more than five minutes, however the pilot is not staying on. Can it be something else preventing the pilot to stay on so spidering I’m holding it down for more than thirty seconds?

1. Sorry, Alex. These comments don’t get “threaded” in the admin interface, so it’s hard to remember what’s happened previously in the conversation. I should just come to the “outside” page to see the convo better. :)

Sounds like you’re doing everything right, and there really aren’t THAT many moving parts! All I can think of is that perhaps while replacing the thermocouple, you didn’t get a good connection on the valve side. if you have a multimeter, try doing a continuity test from one end of the thermocouple to the other, to make sure there are no breaks. Also, double-check how the thermocouple is screwed into the valve. That’s really all I can think of! Obviously you’re getting gas through the valve, or the pilot wouldn’t light at all. If the pilot light is going out even after holding down the pilot button for 30 seconds (heck, I’d even go a minute or two just to be extra sure), then it keeps coming back to a thermocouple problem for me.

80. Bob

changed thermastat month ago on fireplace evertthing workin ,then nothing ,changed thermal coupling, pilot on but still wont fire up, can here thermastat click but nada, now what ? even cleaned thermopile? Bob

81. bruce

steve I have cleaned the thermopile fired up the switch and watch the burner ignite only 1/3 across, I have cleaded the burner holes but can smell gas, any suggestions?

82. bob@yah.com

Steve,

Thanks so much for writing this. It was so helpful.

Tim

83. Andy

Great article, fixed my fire are saved alot of hasstle. Thankyou!!

84. Joe

Steve,
    I have a 11 year old Majestic fireplace that is not wired to a wall switch; it only runs via Honeywell remote. A week ago stopped working, except the pilot, so I cleaned everything. I cannot start the fan or flame so I assume the remote it failing. Is this easy to switch out?

1. If both the fan and flame are failing, then yes – I’d check the remote. If you have a standard gas valve, you can test this theory by using a piece of wire or a paperclip to “bridge” the two TH terminals on your valve (thereby “closing” the connection between them). If the fireplace lights, then either the remote sending unit, or receiving unit, is dead. You can easily replace with the same Honeywell remote that you currently use. Or, you can upgrade to something a bit fancier like this Skytech I reviewed. :)

1. Joe

steve,

Thanks for the assistance! The paperclip bridge failed too. I can hear a click sound, almost like a breaker popping sound. I also learned my system operates on duel thermopiles, so am i better off replacing prior to addressing the remote?

1. Before replacing stuff, use a multimeter to read the voltage at the valve’s TP contacts (as described in the article) to make sure you’re comfortably generating enough electricity to open the valve when the TH contacts are bridged. If you’re low, then yes – the problem is with the thermopile (or one or both thermopiles in your case). If you’re well over the amount needed by your valve (check the valve docs to know the amount), then the problem is with the valve itself.

1. Joe

Steve,
            multimeter readings were 550-600. Valve requires more than 100 when in pilot mode, tested well over that. Are there any more tests I can run? Sounds like a valve but the remote failure is perplexing.
            Thanks!

85. Jeff Scharphorn

Steve – Thank you for the helpful information. I have a good Thermocouple and standing pilot with a Thermopile reading of 550 to 600 millivolts after cleaning. The wall switch has good continuity but the gas value still doesn’t open with the switch on nor with a jumper wire. The valve does open when a AAA battery is connected to the TP terminals. Does this indicate the valve is bad or should I still try replacing the Thermopile?

1. If the AAA battery opens the valve, but the thermo-battery (pile means battery in French) doesn’t, then yes – sounds like the thermopile isn’t generating enough juice to open the valve. If cleaning it isn’t enough, time to replace it. May as well do the thermocouple at the same time (since it will go bad eventually). It’s a cheap part, and since you’re taking eveything apart anyway for the TP, now is the perfect time.

1. Bassam Afeiche

Hi Steve
        I join the multitude of those who praise your blog. My problem is that two of the three pilot flames are strong but the third, supposed to engulf the thermopile doesn’t reach it. I would appreciate it if you could suggest how to solve this problem. Thanks.
        Bassam

1. Hmm… that’s usually an issue with the pilot hole being plugged, or the thermopile bracket being bent into the wrong position. I’d kill the gas to the entire unit, try cleaning out the third pilot hole with a pipe cleaner, and then re-lighting and giving it another shot.

86. geo6869

Tried cleaning the TP and TC, and blew out the whole area. Unit has not been operated (not pilot light or gas – LP – in the system) for at least a year. Cannot keep the pilot light going, and it does not seem to be as abundant as the ones shown in various videos from Heatilator. Could this be a gas flow issue? I purchased a 100 lb tank (new) and a regulator at Lowes. This is a ’04 a GCDC80. Do I need a special regulator for this unit?
    Thx

1. It could be a flow issue, but my money is still on the thermocouple. If it’s not telling the system that the pilot stays lit, it will kill the gas from the valve. If the thermocouple has gone completely bad, cleaning it won’t help. It’s only a $10 part, so I’d say it’s worth the risk of swapping it out before troubleshooting further.

87. Douglas

Steve,
    Thanks for is DIY post. I followed your directions and it all worked exactly as you said it would. I’m just very happy this was an easy fix to the gas fireplace.

88. Lisa

You are my new hero. I tried to schedule an appointment to have our fireplace looked at – they’re booked till SPRING. Thanks to your clear and safe instructions, we have a working fireplace after simply cleaning the thermocouple and thermopile! Yahoo! You save me time money and frustration.

1. Booked till spring? Wow. Makes me think a teenage kid could make a couple of bucks in your area with a TC/TP cleaning service. :)

89. Angelica Light

Steve, thanks to you we now have a cozy fire at our beach house in time for Thanksgiving guests. The property manager’s staff couldn’t fix so we did using your very clear instructions. Many thanks for sharing your expertise.